Women Veterans Health Care
Whether you are ready to start or expand your family or interested in delaying pregnancy, VA covers a full range of services for Veterans to support your reproductive goals.
Maternity Care Coordinators
To further support pregnant Veterans, every VA offers maternity care coordination. VA Maternity Care Coordinators understand your needs and can support you through every stage of your pregnancy.
Maternity Care Coordinators can help you:
- Navigate health care services both inside and outside of VA
- Access care for your other physical and mental health conditions
- Connect to community resources
- Cope with pregnancy loss
- Connect to needed care after delivery
- Answer questions about billing
If you are pregnant and want to find a VA Maternity Care Coordinator near you, talk to your VA provider. You can also call or text the Women Veterans Call Center.
What does VA cover?
VA covers full maternity care from the time of the first positive pregnancy test through delivery and follow-up appointments with your OB provider. Benefits include:
- Full physical exams and lab tests
- Prenatal education and screenings
- Obstetrical ultrasounds
- Genetic tests and specialty consultations
- Prescription drugs
- First seven days of newborn’s care
- Support for breast feeding
- Support and services in case of miscarriage or stillbirth
- Social work and mental health services
What’s NOT covered by VA?
VA maternity benefits do not cover:
- Home deliveries
- Services by doulas
- Deliveries by a lay midwife (a midwife who is not a medical nurse)
- Experimental procedures and procedures outside the standard of care
- Termination of pregnancy
Who is eligible?
VA covers pregnancy-related care for eligible women Veterans. VA also covers care for newborns of Veterans whose pregnancies are covered by VA for the first seven days of life.
VA is committed to serving all who served, including LGBT Veterans. If you are an LGBT Veteran and have questions about your eligibility for VA’s maternity care services, please call the Women Veterans Call Center or contact the LGBT Veteran Care Coordinator at your nearest facility for more information. There is an LGBT Veteran Care Coordinator at every facility to help you get the care you need.
Parenting Support and Resources
Parenthood is often accompanied with many unanticipated challenges and stresses. It’s okay. Let go of perfect. VA is here to help. We provide several resources to support you and your family, such as virtual care, reproductive mental health care, and stress management to support expecting and new mothers, parents of toddlers and young children, and parents with teens. Talk to your VA health care provider to learn more about how VA is here for you.
- Parenting Support and Classes
- Family Therapy
- Maternity Care Coordinators
- Intimate Partner Violence Assistance Program (IPVAP)
- Virtual Mental Health Care
- ACOG Postpartum Toolkit*
Are you ready to start or expand your family?
Women Veterans deserve the best care anywhere, and they can receive all of their pregnancy care at VA. A planned pregnancy is a healthier pregnancy, so talk to your provider today if you want to become pregnant. VA provides prenatal and preconception (pre-pregnancy) care, maternity care services and 7 days of newborn care for women Veterans. Choose VA for your maternity care services.
To learn more about preconception care and preparing for pregnancy, please visit the Healthy Pregnancy page.
On this site, you will find a healthy checklist, reproductive life plan and other resources for your pregnancy.
Additional Resources for Pregnancy Planning
The number of women Veterans seeking pregnancy care is likely to rise. VA encourages women Veterans to speak with their provider or contact the Women Veterans Call Center to find their nearest Maternity Care Coordinator. The Women Veterans Call Center is available Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. ET and Saturdays from 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. ET by calling 1-855-829-6636 or chat online at www.womenshealth.va.gov.
- Maternity Care Services Brochure
- Maternity Care Services Brochure (Spanish)
- VA Maternity Benefits Cost-Sharing Information
- VA Women’s Healthy Pregnancy
- CDC Reproductive Health*
- CDC Pregnancy*
Download free viewer and reader software to view PDF, video and other file formats.
*By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site.
†VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked Web site.