Women Veterans Health Care
She Wears the Boots Podcast
Women are the fastest growing group of Veterans using VA services. In fact, women make up 30% of all new Veterans Health Administration (VHA) patients. Women Veterans have the same health care needs as non-Veteran women, but they are at a higher risk for certain conditions that may require specialized care. No other health service understands women Veterans and their unique health care needs like VA.
Hear from the Women’s Health Experts
When it comes to your own health, you want high quality options and reliable, convenient sources of information. She Wears the Boots is an official VA sponsored podcast that focuses on topics relevant to you and recognizes the many diverse roles you take on in your life. The episodes feature VA physicians, leadership and other experts who share details about eligibility and the variety of women-specific health care services available. The podcast is a trusted, accessible resource on topics that matter to you and can improve your well-being.
Downloading, subscribing and listening to the She Wears the Boots podcast is a great way to get the information you need to make the best health decisions for your future and your family. The convenient podcast format allows you to listen from your computer, while you are taking a break from teleworking, or from your phone when you are on the go, exercising or even while driving. New podcasts come out regularly, and current topics include:
- Women’s Health in the VA Overview, Dr. Patty Hayes, Chief Officer for Women’s Health at VA Central Office, discusses past, present, and future state of Women’s Health in the VA. You can find more information on this topic here: Women’s Health
- Women Veteran Call Center, Mr. Benjamin Davis, Deputy Director for the Women Veterans Call Center, shares how women Veterans can connect to the Women Veteran Call Center to access VA Health Care and other resources. You can find more information on this topic here: Women Veteran Call Center Website
- Comprehensive Women’s Health Care in the VA, Dr. Sally Haskell, Deputy Chief Officer for Clinical Operations and the Director of Comprehensive Health for Women’s Health at VA Central Office, speaks about the range of care provided to women Veterans by Women’s Health Primary Care Providers in the VA. You can find more information on this topic here: VA Comprehensive Health for Women
- Maternity Care in the VA, Dr. Amanda Johnson, Director of Reproductive Health for Women’s Health at VA Central Office, provides an overview of maternity care coordination and benefits offered in the VA. You can find more information on this topic here: VA Maternity Care
- Infertility Services in the VA, Dr. Ginny Ryan, VA Infertility Specialist, walk us through the process of getting connected and coverage of infertility care by the VA. She also explains the differences between coverage of infertility care for all Veterans versus the coverage available for Veterans whose service connection impairs their fertility. You can find more information on this topic here: VA Infertility Website
- LGBTQ Care in the VA, Dr. Jillian Shipherd, LGBT+ Health Program Director at VA Central Office, discusses the ongoing efforts and strategies in VHA to provide inclusive and affirming care for Veterans with lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and related identities. You can find more information on this topic here: VA LGBT+ Care
- VA White Ribbon, Lelia Jackson, FAC/P-PM, Senior Strategist, VHA Office of the Chief of Staff and Georgina Baumgartner, Program Analyst, VHA Office of the Chief of Staff discuss VA’s national call to action to eliminate sexual harassment, sexual assault, and domestic violence through the VA White Ribbon Campaign. You can find more information on this topic here: VA White Ribbon
- Women’s Health Transition Training, Halima Ahmadi-Montecalvo, Maj. Alea Nadeem, Dr. Nancy Maher and U.S. Air Force Veteran Sarah Maples share information for transitioning Servicewomen about the Women’s Health Transition Training course through a 3-part episode series. The Women’s Health Transition Training is a course that transitioning Servicewomen can take to learn about eligibility, enrollment and accessing women’s health care benefits through VA. You can find more information on this topic here: Women’s Health Transition Training
Download, Sunscribe, and Listen Today!
The She Wears the Boots podcast provides information about VA services that can foster resiliency and life enrichment, while sharing details about VA’s transformed culture to be inclusive of all women Veterans. Download and listen to hear more on how VA puts your women’s health needs first. Currently, the podcast series is available on Spreaker* and Apple Podcasts*.
*By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site.