Women Veterans Health Care
Comprehensive Primary Care
No other health service in the world understands women Veterans like VA.
We have the experience and the knowledge to engage with you and help you work toward the best health possible by providing high quality health care services. Our Designated Women’s Health Providers provide comprehensive primary care (general primary care as well as gender-specific care) and are attuned to the specific health needs and risks of women Veterans. When you seek comprehensive primary care at VA, you are assigned one Designated Women’s Health Provider at one site to coordinate your care and provide both primary care and gender-specific care.
- General medical care for any acute or chronic illnesses
- Preventive care such as nutrition counseling, weight control, and smoking cessation
- Gender-specific care such as Pap smears, breast exams, mammograms, birth control, pregnancy planning, Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines, menopause care, osteoporosis care, obstetrics care, specialty gynecology care
- Specialty services for difficulties such as depression, homelessness, military sexual trauma (MST), Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and substance use problems
Comprehensive primary care from a team dedicated to your health needs.
Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT), VA’s team-based approach, puts the woman Veteran at the center of the care team, which also includes family members, caregivers and health care professionals. Your Designated Women’s Health Provider is part of a coordinated team, and every member of that team– gynecologist, mental health provider, even medical assistant– is dedicated to your health care needs.
Your team can help you find out what your health care goals are, and help you make personalized plans to achieve them. The focus is on forging trusted, personal relationships; the result is coordination of all aspects of health care.
Women Veterans Program Managers: All VA medical centers and many Vet Centers have a designated Women Veterans Program Manager to help women Veterans access VA benefits and health care services. To find the VA medical center or Vet Center nearest you, call 1-877-222-8387 or visit www.va.gov/directory.
Women Veteran Call Center: Women Veterans can call 1-855-VA-WOMEN (1-855-829-6636) to ask questions about available VA services and resources.
- VA primary Care http://www.va.gov/health/services/primarycare/index.asp.
- VA Women's Health Service www.prevention.va.gov/Healthy_Living/Limit_Alcohol.asp.
- Patient Aligned Care Team http://www.va.gov/health/services/primarycare/pact/index.asp
- Preventive Health Care Tips for Women https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-portal-web/anonymous.portal?_nfpb=true&_nfto=false&_pageLabel=spotlightArchive&contentPage=spotlight/May%202010/spotlight_prevention.html
- Health and Wellness for Women Veterans http://www.womenshealth.va.gov/WOMENSHEALTH/womenshealthservices/wellness.asp
Download free viewer and reader software to view PDF, video and other file formats.
*By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site.
†VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked Web site.