Women Veterans Health Care
Did you know that women can be role models?
As role models, a woman’s behavior, example, or success is emulated by others, especially by younger people. In general, a role model helps to guide others through life as they develop, to make important decisions, and to help find happiness later in life. People, especially children, look to their role models for inspiration and use what they learn as a blueprint for how they should behave when they’re older. Role models are parents, immediate family members, teachers, and women Veterans, just to name a few.
Women are leaders in their communities, professions, and households; places where people are watching the examples set by them. . Others will follow a woman’s approach to health. From the foods they eat, to their exercise habits, to the way they care for the health of others, women, including women Veterans, are role models for health.
What Role Does She Play?
- Certified health coach
- Exercise instructor
What Can You Do To Be A Role Model For Health?
National Institutes of Health (NIH) provides tips on how to be a role model for health with kids. Explore the full list of tips on how to be a good role model.
- Make Your Home a Healthy Eating Zone
- Eat healthy. Children are watching. They will follow your lead.
- Stock your kitchen with healthy foods—fruits, veggies, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products.
- Give kids a healthy breakfast every day.
- Get your Family Moving
- If kids see you doing physical activity, they will want to move more, too.
- Encourage children to be active. o
- Plan activities the whole family can do together.
- Limit Screen Time
- Limit your kids’ time in front of TV, video games, and the computer.
- Know the link between screen time and unhealthy foods.
- Teach your kids that many of the ads they see on TV are for less-healthy food and drink choices.
VA As A Health Care Resource
VA offers primary and specialty health care services for women Veterans that can help them live healthy lives and maintain role model status.Learn more about VA health care for women Veterans.